Sunday, October 25, 2009

Not just another Horse's Head, but one I've seen before.


.
When I first glimpsed the plate, the first thing that struck me was the backward looking horse's head with the distinctive eye. I'd seen it before and I knew it was by Picasso. Since then I've scoured my library of Picasso books and have been unable to find it again. Presently I'm re-examining these books in minute detail in the hope of relocating the image.

The backwards, or over-the-shoulder stance, is a feature seen in many works by Picasso. Perhaps the best known examples are "Guernica", in which both the horse and bull adopt this posture, and Les Demoiselles d'Avigon, in which one wamen's head is twisted completely around to look backwards between her shoulder blades.

I'll keep looking because I know I've seen the horse's head somewhere before.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment